Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sanchez' Story

Duaner Sanchez was chatting with his cousin and a friend in the back of a cab early Monday when another car suddenly slammed into the side of the taxi on a Miami highway.
"I could see the bone on the top of the shoulder. I started to cry. I knew it was bad."
"Everything is good," said Sanchez, who seemed to be in good spirits but was still groggy from the surgery for the separated shoulder. "There's nothing bad in my shoulder. The ligaments and muscles are OK. I will pitch again, but it won't be this year."
Sanchez said he met his cousin, Dawin Sanchez, and a friend, Milagros Rodriguez, at the Mets' hotel in Hollywood, Fla., late Sunday night. The group decided to grab a bite to eat and hopped into a cab to find a Dominican restaurant.
The cab, a 2000 Ford sedan, was traveling south in the right lane of four on Interstate 95 in Miami, about 15 miles south of the hotel, when a 1985 Ford Crown Victoria, also heading south but in the left lane, crossed three lanes and slammed into the cab driver's door.
The cab spun out of control and hit the concrete barrier dividing northbound and southbound traffic, Santangelo said. The Ford, driven by Cecil Wiggins of Miami, hit a concrete wall on the shoulder of the road.
Sanchez, riding in the back seat, put his right arm - his pitching arm - up against the cab's partition to brace himself during the crash.
"I went to stop myself and all the pressure went to the top of my arm," he said. "My arm jammed up."
Criminal charges are expected to be filed against Wiggins but investigators do not know if alcohol or drugs were involved in the accident. Toxicology test results will be available in nine or 10 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home