Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Unhappy Recap: Twins 9 Mets 0

For some reason this loss pissed me off more than the others this month that have followed the similar script; starter gets bombed, hitters don't hit and bullpen makes it worse.

But this one pissed me off even more and I did two things I haven't done this season. First I yelled at the TV, loudly. It may be hard to believe but up until now I've been so confident in this time that I haven't allowed their poor play to aggravate me. Second, I turned this game off early. I haven't watched every inning of every game, but this was the first game this year that I remember planning to watch then giving up and watching something else.

And I think what got me so annoyed was the perceived lack of effort by Carlos Beltran on the play that turned the game around. After Torii Hunter singled to start the second, Jeff Cirillo hit a broken bat single to shallow centerfield. Beltran took for granted that Hunter would stop and second and did not charge the ball. Then when Hunter headed for third, Beltran scooped the ball and rushed his throw. It landed in the seats. Hunter scored, Cirillo went to third. The next batter blooped a single over the drawn in infield. Then Sosa blew up, allowing another single, and a walk to the pitcher before the floodgates really opened for 3 more runs.

That made it 5-0, and on this night 1 was too many for the Mets. They had no chance against Santana, even if they hadn't made four errors.

Another horrible performance by a team that doesn't look like it's going to break out of this slump anytime soon. It's only a matter of time before the Phillies and Braves catch them and the Mets will find themselves in third place, fighting the rest of the season to climb out of the hole they are digging for themselves right now.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger jleary said...

i turned it off early too. but against santana i didnt expect a win anyway

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home